Required/Recommended Equipment List
This list is more or less in order of importance. You can't
compete without items 1-6.
- Hearing protection (required) and eye protection. (highly
- Military rifle or handgun conforming to either the CMP as-issued
criteria or our VMBAR.VMSAR criteria. See CMP Games Rulebook or our VMBAR/VMSAR page.
- Magazines or clips. Rapid fire stages require one reload. (highly
of proper caliber, type, and quantity. (Usually 60 rounds + ~10
sighters) Either surplus*, commercial*, or handloads**.
- ECI (Empty Chamber Indicator) Available at the match for a small
- Money for entry fees.
- Shooting sling ( must comply with CMP rules.)
- Stapler and staples for posting targets. (Targets and Pasters
are supplied by the range.)
- Timer or stopwatch.
- Shooting mat or equivalent.
- Spotting scope and stand.
- Shooting jacket (Only lightweight jackets allowed in VMBAR/VMSAR
matches). New Rule Sept 2008.
- Tools and cleaning equipment.
- Plastic bag to hold empty brass. (Yes, you have to pick it up)
- Range bag to carry small items.
- Gun case.
- Sunscreen, insect repellent (not usually a problem), hat, map to
the range, snack, drinks, money, etc.
- Ability to laugh at yourself.
*Surplus and commercial ammunition although of proper caliber is
sometimes made more powerful than the firearm is safe to use. Be sure
that you are shooting a safe combination of ammunition and firearm.
Safety of your equipment is solely your responsibility.
** The safety of handloaded ammunition is solely the responsibility of
the person shooting it. Do not use handloaded ammunition obtained from
anyone to whom you would not entrust your life and the lives of those